Thursday, January 12, 2012

Oh, to be mistborn.

The newest books to have caught my attention (and I really mean newest, since there are a whole load of books I have on a list to write about) are the Mistborn trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson.
Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson
The author of this book is somewhat well known in the Fantasy world - as my boyfriend told me, he is the one who has been chosen to finish Robert Jordan's amazing series of Wheel of Time books. I got this series for Christmas from my amazing boyfriend/fiance Alex, and I absolutely love them. It was quite the surprise, as I had not heard of the series before getting them, and I've never gotten books I haven't asked for before - usually my family and friends stick to the few that I request.
But I have to say I am extremely happy that he introduced me to this world.. I cannot believe how quickly I got attached to these books. It took me a while to get started with them (I had to get through the Hunger Games first) but once I started, I couldn't put them down.
I'm currently on the third, and sadly, last book in the trilogy, and I secretly wish it would never end. Couldn't Brandon Sanderson have been more like Robert Jordan, and written 14 books, instead of 3? I'd read every one of them. Vin, Elend, Kelsier, TenSoon, Sazed... they are all such wonderful and imaginative characters that I can't help but love hearing all their separate stories and wishing there were more to read.
The world that Sanderson creates is imaginative and very original, with the deadly mists that cover the world, and the omnipotent "Lord Ruler" who destroyed the world while trying to save it. He brings in such unexpected elements into the Fantasy world that I never would have thought possible - for instance, the strongest Allomancer could have the power to physically move the planet closer or farther away from the sun.
I guess it's too late now to tell you not to read this, if you don't want to ruin the books. But I guarantee that if you pick up these books, the decrepit wasteland of the earth with its blood red sun the smoking ash that falls like rain will leave you reeling unlike any other book has.
Kedrik Shaw, in Luthadel

No comments:

Post a Comment